Space for Exhibits, Meetings, Concerts, Booksignings
The Main Library is currently unavailable for rental. Some branch libraries have rooms available for community use; inquire at the individual location. There is a charge for room rental. Rooms must be reserved at least 4-6 weeks for most events.
Guidelines for use of meeting rooms in the Detroit Public Library facilities
- Groups using the rooms for issue-based topics must represent all points of view.
- DPL must review publicity before it is distributed to the public
- No admission may be charged for attendance or registration, no request for donations may be made, no items may be sold.
- Prior approval is needed for furniture or equipment brought into the building or for decorations or materials to be displayed.
- Nothing can be affixed to the walls.
- No kitchen facilities are available. Caterer must bring tableware, silverware, linen, and for Adam Strohm Hall, chairs and tables.
- DPL is a smoke-free environment.
- The employee parking lot is available when the library is closed to the public.
- Groups renting a facility are responsible for any damage to or loss of library property that occurs during their use of the room.
- The Detroit Library Commission, the library administration and its employees are not responsible for accidents, injuries or loss or damage to individual personal property that may occur while groups are using the facilities.
- No conduct disturbing regular library use or infringing on any library rules is permitted.
- Meeting rooms must be cleared of all individuals at the agreed upon time.
- Nonprofit organizations must submit federal tax I.D. number or photocopy of nonprofit tax statement.
If your group or organization would like to know more about the Main Library facility, see our beautiful building, or even learn more about the history of the library, sign up for a tour. Below are some guidelines.
- Tours of the Main Library for groups of 10 to 100 may be arranged through Detroit Public Library Public Services, (313) 833-4029, for adults, or through the Children's Library, (313) 833-1490, for children of elementary and middle school age.
- Once a tour is booked, you will be contacted only if a conflict with time or date arises, or if the tour guide has questions about any special needs of the group.
- If your organization or group needs to cancel a tour, or will be late, contact the Marketing Department.
- Requests for tours should be made 10 days ahead of time.
- Tours can be booked at 10:30 am or after 1:00 pm on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday, or between 1:00-7:00 p.m. on Tuesday and Wednesday. Tours last approximately an hour and a half.
- Tour guides are librarians who cover the reference departments and collections at Main Library, as well as the architecture and decorative features of the building. Tour groups can request that particular areas be highlighted during their tour.
- No tours are booked during February due to heavy demands on library staff for African American History Month.
The Detroit Public Library's, Main Library location has several exhibit cases that are used in accordance with the Exhibits Policy. Free-standing exhibits are also considered. Those requesting use of exhibit space in Main Library should contact the Marketing Department at (313) 481-1340 or fill out the Request for Exhibit Space Form. Branch libraries may be approached independently with exhibit proposals.
The Library will sponsor exhibits to:
- Promote public awareness of the collections and services of the Detroit Public Library
- Celebrate national, state or local events
- Encourage reading
- Educate the public
- Reaffirm the viability and importance of libraries
- Attract a wider audience to the Detroit Public Library
- All exhibit proposals are subject to a review procedure and must be approved by the Detroit Public Library.
- The exhibit of any given material does not constitute an endorsement by the Detroit Public Library.
- Proposals for exhibits must be submitted to the Detroit Public Library one year prior to the proposed exhibit. Use the form on this web site.
- The Library may sponsor exhibits from organizations which are engaged in educational, cultural, intellectual or charitable activities.
- The Detroit Public Library will be the sole judge of what is acceptable. All materials will be reviewed by the Library before being displayed.
- The Library will require a complete inventory of each item of an exhibit, including title, dimensions, description and estimated by owner.
- Preparation of materials for exhibit purposes is the responsibility of the exhibitor and must meet the standards of the Detroit Public Library.
- The arrangement and hanging of the exhibit will be the responsibility of the exhibitor.
- The Library must approve all publicity related to an exhibit.
- The Detroit Public Library will provide no special security personnel.
- No admission charge, request for donations or items for sale will be permitted. The Library will allow however, a citation in the exhibit giving the name, address and/or telephone number of a contact person should a viewer wish to inquire about a purchase.
For exhibit space at Main Library, please e-mail the Marketing Department at email@example.com
Catalog & Database Search
Search books, movies, games and other library materials.
Search newspaper, magazine and journal articles.