The Hubbard Branch of the Detroit Public Library opened February 15, 1951 in rented quarters at 13422 W. McNichols near Schaefer Highway. The library moved to its present location on W. McNichols just west of the service drive of the John C. Lodge Freeway on September 10, 1953. It is named for geologist, naturalist, and Detroit civic leader, Bela Hubbard (1814-1896).
The library provides services for all ages, including print and audio books, magazines, newspapers, CDs, DVDs and computer access. A public meeting room is available (with advance booking) for not-for-profit organizations. Bus schedules, student financial aid packets and tax forms (seasonally) are available upon request. Computer classes for beginners and advanced users covering computer basics, e-mail and word-processing are regularly scheduled.